by Pamela Wills, CPC
This week, as my first blog post on Cape Cod Mommies, I want to talk to you about setbacks. You know what I mean -- those pesky bumps in the road that we can either allow to throw us off course, make us more keenly focused on the task at hand or redirect us to a better path. Those bumps come up all the time, don't they? It's a fact of life. The key really is how we react to them.
So what can we do to take those setbacks and turn them into opportunities? Here is a short list of some of my favorite strategies, gathered from many smart sources over the years:
1) Don't take things so seriously. A bump is just that -- a bump, not a mountain.
2) Give yourself permission to make a mistake. Perfection is great to strive for but it's really
unattainable. I aim for "practically perfect" instead (thank you, Mary Poppins!).
3) Allow yourself time to rest and reflect. If you never stop to think about what went wrong, how will you figure out how to do it better next time?
4) Shift your perspective on that bump. There is always a way to re-frame that bump as an opportunity rather than a failure. What can you learn from the situation?
5) Get some exercise! Sometimes a simple walk in the fresh air is just what the doctor ordered.
6) Take charge of your emotions. Don't let your initial reactionto the bump cause you to steer off the road. Take a breath; get a grip. This too shall pass.
7) Talk to a trusted friend that you know will be The Voice of Reason. If you don't have a friend like this already, I highly recommend making friends with someone who can give you kind but realistic straight talk when you really need it. This kind of friend can be a valuable support.
8) Don't make quitting a habit. That golden oldie about picking yourself up, dusting yourself off and starting over again is golden because it works!
Remember what Thomas Edison said back in the day:
"I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work."
That Edison guy was a very smart man.
=) Change Coach Pam
Pamela Wills, CPC
Elasticity Change Coaching
Please remember that referrals make me very happy!
For Email Marketing you can trust
Cape Cod Moms