Discover a New Sea Species & a Different Way to Learn
Join Bridgeview Montessori School on Wednesday, July 17, 2019 at 9:30 AM – 11 AM
A free event for families with children entering 1st through 6th grade, come work with our teachers in our Art Studio to discover what a Bridgeview Montessori elementary education is all about. Your children will have a lesson about sea species and how they adapt as well as work in our Art Studio to create their own unique species. Parents will learn about how a Bridgeview Montessori elementary education is unique and inspiring. Visit www.bridgeviewmontessori.org to register and visit their Facebook Event page to be reminded.
By: Erica W
This is a quiet little aquarium in the water. It is free to all Those that go. They do accept donations when you sign in. Bring some quarters for the parking meters as that is the most convenient parking choice. I do not believe they allow strollers , just to keep that in mind. There are public bathrooms inside that are kept tidy. It can get quite busy in the summer hours and is a small place. I like to go during the winter as it is open year round. On the first floor there are some tanks with a variety of different fish. It isn't too wild but is cool for young kids. They have a touch tank upstairs , where it is kind of behind the screens, which my son lives. It usually has starfish, snails, crabs, a fish and little plants. Bring sanitizer, as it only has plain water to wash your hands after. It also has the outside tank with two seals with steps so everyone can see!
My son is two and we have gone on and off since last year, it takes about a half hour to see, and enjoys it.
By: Tina Toran
Free Play & Learn groups in Falmouth begin this week. Have you checked on the Coalition for Children’s website? Have you signed up for a registered group? Do you know when and where all the drop-ins are? If not, maybe you need a couple of reasons to participate. How about 10?
Ten Reasons to Join a Playgroup*
1. Variety makes life spicy. Wake up. Feed baby. Change diapers. Look at dirty house. Ignore house. Feed baby. Change diaper. Put baby down for a nap. Baby cries. Feed baby…. There is nothing more glorious than bringing your baby home, but after a week or two, the sameness of the routine may become stressful. Playgroups provide a reason to get dressed (although very few have dress codes) and add structure to your days.
2. Friends make the world go round. The size of your group is space dependant, but most groups usually consist of at least seven or eight parents. Before you even put your child down, you have a whole room full of potential mom and dad friends. No ice breakers are necessary, you all have at least one thing in common, and adult conversation is just a new friend away!
3. Avoid isolation. Ping ponging, after-baby hormones can be destructive, and isolation can exacerbate the baby blues or maternal depression. If getting out of the house is the last thing you want to do, then it’s the first thing you probably should do. Getting out and meeting others can be a great way to assess your own health and well being. It’s also a great place to say, “you know, I think I need a little help.” Your new friends can, and will, listen with empathy: this is your choir.
4. Find your little Twyla. Playgroups differ according to age group, developmental appropriateness, and focus. The Coalition for Children offers free Lap Babies Groups, Mixed Age Playgroups, Tots ‘n Tales, Movement and Creative Music, and Intergenerational Groups. While their content is different, all of the songs, finger plays, dances, books, and the crafts are designed to provide the children with a variety of stimulating experiences.
5. Slow down, you move too fast. Have you ever heard anyone say, “I wish I could remove some hours from my day?” No, probably not. Everyone is always trying to fit more in, do more, add more. Playgroups are a place to relax, make friends and bond with your children. When you are holding your baby and singing or reading a book with your toddlers, you’re giving your child(ren) the message that this time is important, and you are important.
6. Social emotional learning is a Pre-K activity. Children do not come out of the womb with shiny social skills; these empty little vessels need to be taught how to do everything. While the work begins at home, playgroups are a great place to introduce and/or practice skills like how to treat friends, share, follow directions, gain independence, take turns, and deal with difficult situations. Consider playgroups as another school readiness exercise.
7. But she bit her best friend! Most community run playgroups are led by experienced leaders with child development experience. Many have folders and fliers with information about everything from toilet training and developmental delays, to eating issues – and of course, biting. If you have questions, please ask. If the leader does not have an answer, they will look for resources and bring them to the next meeting.
8. You are a life saver. Since Air Station Cape Cod is right in the middle of our attachment area, I’ve spoken to recently relocated families who have no familial supports: they know no one. One woman from the base called our office and asked for a baby sitter. She needed to go to the doctor and had no one to ask. Not one person. With time and attendance, trust builds and parents begin to reach out to each other. Many develop childcare friendships, which in any economy, including this one, is a definite mothers little helper.
9. What does your village look like? If it takes a village to raise strong, socially adept, and confident children (and parents) the earlier you make the connections, the stronger the foundation will be. Playgroups are the fertile ground from which spring literacy habits, parent and child together bonding, and life long friendships. If you are an adult with children ages birth to school age, we have a group for you. If you’re a visitor to our area and you don’t have access where you are, you might consider starting a group of your own.
10. Finding local support. If you are new to the area, or you are new to parenting and you need information about local resources – what do you do? If you live in Falmouth, you call us, THE COALITION FOR CHILDREN. We are a parent support and education program funded by the Massachusetts Department of Early Education and Care. We offer free workshops, free parenting classes, free childcare resource guides, and free playgroups! Groups will begin the week of September 15th, 2014. For more information call (508) 548 0151 x 172. You can also check our website: http://www.thecoalitionforchildren.org.
Tina Toran is the co-coordinator of The Coalition for Children.The Coalition for Children is a grant funded, education and support program for parents and early childhood educators with children from birth to school age. We offer play and learn groups, workshops, parenting classes, developmental screenings, an emergency childcare fund, community events and links to local childcare providers: anything we can do to create a strong foundation for our children, our families, our providers, our community. All classes are FREE
Below is the Fall Playgroup Schedule. If you wish to register visit their webiste: http://www.thecoalitionforchildren.org/fall-2014-schedule.html
***** FREE SAMPLES *****
As you know Cape Cod Mommies is an Ambassador for Boogie Wipes which are Gentle Saline Wipes for Stuffy Noses!
Right now we are offering a Completely Free Program for Preschools/ Daycares! We are offering to send Boogie Wipes for Free every Quarter for the preschool to use and share with their children's families. Having a Boogie Wipes "Save the Sleeve Station" in your classroom is very helpful!
So if you have a child in a Preschool or you teach/work at a Preschool Daycare or know someone who does, please use the link below to sign up for this Free Program. Or respond to this and I will help you get signed up - or bring samples to the school for them to see, touch and feel.
Be Sure to use the CODE - DELL-3Q12 if you use the link, that way they know how you received the information and we can continue to bring you all amazing FREEBIES!
Once your school has been approved, you can expect to receive a quarterly shipment containing a counter ready sample box to share with the parents. Each NEW member will also receive a special surprise in their first shipment.
If you have any questions please let me know - This is an Amazing opportunity to receive free Boogie Wipes for your Preschool!
Hey Cape Cod Moms! Only 23 days until #FreeFunFridays! This summer they're partnering with 67 different cultural institutions to offer free admission on Fridays, so you and your family can enjoy some of the best attractions in Massachusetts at no cost! It’s #FREE for everyone so share the good news with your friends. Read more about this Summer's offerings: http://bit.ly/HSF-FFF.
Cape Cod Mommies has teamed up with some other amazing bloggers this week to bring you a series:
Experience Cape Cod Like A Local
Local Picks from Local Bloggers
Click on the links below after reading ours and check out other local recommendations.
The Holistic Mama
Cape Cod Mommies
Nap Time is My Time
Terrell Family Fun
Modern Day Wife
As part of this series we will also be featuring a giveaway-so see below for more info!
Visit my Cape Cod blogging colleagues and read about their Top 5 Favorite things on Cape Cod
Top 5 FREE Family Friendly Outdoor Cape Cod Activities
White Cedar Swamp in Wellfleet
(recommended by Cape Cod Mom Sarah)
Experience a gorgeous hike like no other, located near Marconi Beach, that makes you feel as if you are in a land of Once Upon A Time. The hike is approximately 1.5 miles and has a lot of uphill walking. There are some paths off the Boardwalk where you can cross to the dunes and see the beach, or you can stroll the winding boardwalk and pretend you are in another world.
Tip: Bring bug Repellent
Beech Forest in Provincetown
(recommended by Cape Cod Mom Bryana)
Another great tree paradise is Beech Forest. You can stroll trails and listen to the birds as you explore nature with the kids. You can even feed the birds and the little chickadees will actually land in your palm to feed.
Fish Hatchery in Sandwich
(recommended by Cape Cod Mom Trish)
We absolutely love the Sandwich Fish Hatchery and have raved about it before (Sandwich Fish Hatchery Review). It is the perfect place to entertain the young kids. Make sure to bring some quarters to get fish pellets. Toss the pellets in and watch the frenzy! Tip: Bring a paper cup with you for all the pellets.
The Petting Zoo at the Sheriff's Department Farm Plymouth.
(recommended by Cape Cod Mom Suzy)
The have all kinds of animals - cows, chickens, goats, pigs, bunnies - and in the spring/summer they give away free food so you can feed the animals. They also have a spot that you can have a picnic. Entrance is always free of charge. Come by and visit Mary the Cow and all her friends!
Address: 74 Obery Street, Plymouth, MA 02360
Burgess Park in Marstons Mills
(recommended by Cape Cod Mom Sarah)
Burgess Park is a Disc Golf course with 18 holes set in the gorgeous shade of the woods. It is fun for all ages and can be great exercise for the whole family. Even your littles will enjoy trying to toss a disc into the basket! If you are lucky, your kids will be exhausted after this busy day!
Cape Cod Mommies was recently given a chance to check out Super Soccer Stars. They will be holding classes this summer in the Town of Barnstable. They hold classes for ages 2 and up for groups and birthday parties! What a great idea!!! Super Soccer Stars has Offered our Readers an amazing opportunity to take their classes for a 10% discount. If you want to check it out first or want to join us for a FREE DEMO session, then read more below!!! Be sure to SIGN UP for the FREE DEMO before Sunday night so we can be sure there are enough kids!
"At Super Soccer Stars, it is our goal to teach soccer skills in a fun, non-competitive, educational environment. Our philosophy is to use soccer to nurture, to build self-confidence, and to develop teamwork in every class. Our specially designed curricula use positive reinforcement
and a low child-to-coach ratio to ensure that each child improves at his or her own rate while having endless fun." For ages 2 and up!
FREE DEMO CLASS FOR CAPE COD MOMS!
Day: Wednesday or Thursday
Date: 7/18/2013 or 7/19/2013
Time: 9:30 AM to 10:00 AM for 2 - 3 year olds
Time: 10:10 AM to 10:50 AM for 3 - 5 year olds
Location: Osterville - Osterville Bay
Address: 99 West Bay Road Osterville, MA 02655 Map Link
It is important that all of the children enroll through their office before the start of the class for liability and staffing reasons – their coaches do not accept enrollment info or any form of payment. Please note it is very important that all parents supply them with a valid email address in his/her application, as this will serve as the main source of communication for class information and updates. We must have at least 4 children enrolled in order to hold the class.
Parents may enroll by completing the online application process or simply giving us a call: 781-777-7171
Here’s how it works to enroll online:
1.) Go to boston.supersoccerstars.com and "Private Groups Log-in" under the Private Class option in the main menu.
2.) If you are signing up for:
For 9:30am Class: Your log-in is CCM. Your Guest Password is CCMWED23 - this password enables YOU to sign up online.
For 10:10am Class: Your log-in is CCM. Your Guest Password is CCMWED35 - this password
enables YOU to sign up online.
For 9:30am Class: Your log-in is CCM. Your Guest Password is CCMTH23 - this password
enables YOU to sign up online
For 10:10am Class: Your log-in is CCM. Your Guest Password is CCMTH35 - this password
enables YOU to sign up online
If you enjoy the FREE demo class, you can sign up for their Summer Session with the Cape Cod
Mommies Discount of 10%!!!!
For more info visit their website: boston.supersoccerstars.com Email them at: email@example.com
Or Call them: 781-777-7171
Kelly Kits encourage art play using a wide variety of creative tools & materials beyond what coloring books can offer. The Original Kelly Kit comes complete with one set of five unique activities that cover the five art disciplines: painting, drawing, sculpting, printmaking, & collage. Each kit contains all of the tools & materials needed for the activities, the user just needs access to a kitchen! To increase functionality for homeschooling parents, each activity includes an instruction card with an enrichment idea to adapt the art activity to a school lesson. Kelly Kits are designed to encourage creativity & teach!
Want a free Kelly Kit of your very own? Go to: http://www.kellykits.com/free-kit-2/ and use promo code: USFG99.
I love children activities that help kids express themselves, especially in art and music! These are disciplines that are sorely lacking in the education system due to unfortunate budget cutbacks. These kits are great for rainy day activities or to encourage your wee one to express themselves!
BECAUSE "MOM" IS OFTEN A VERB!
"Ready! Set! Mom!" Expo Coming SThis Week to the HYCC
The upcoming fall season means "back to school" and busy days for parents with children. As such, Cape Cod Broadcasting’s 99.9 WQRC and Cape Country 104 are stepping up to help Cape Cod Moms get their kids ready to return to the classroom, and make the most of their "me time" by holding their first annual "Ready! Set! Mom!" Expo, Wednesday August 22, 2012 from 3p-7p at the Hyannis Youth & Community Center.
Focusing on three specific areas of assistance for Mom, 99.9 WQRC and Cape Country 104 will arm her with all the information she needs for the school year ahead; including:
Back to School: Apparel, Technology, School Supplies, Gear and Sporting Equipment and gear.
Family Health & Wellness: Healthy Eating, Nutritious Lunches, Immunization, Fitness and Recreational Pursuits.
Just for Mom: All the tools, tips and techniques to keep you, the multi-tasking Mom, going plus some pampering and relaxation to boot.
Admission is free, and attendees will find many local businesses, major retailers and national brands presenting their products and services to educate, inform and assist Moms in their roles as parents. Please bring schools supplies to help us with out backpack drive for
What: The Cape Cod Broadcasting "Ready! Set! Mom!" Expo
When: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 from 3:00 – 7:00 p.m.
Where: Hyannis Youth & Community Center ~ 141 Bassett Lane, Hyannis MA 02601 EXPO to be held in the Gymnasium and Shepley Rooms
If you’d like more information about this event, or to schedule an interview, please call Erin Madden at 508-771-1224 ext. 131. Or email to ErinMadden@CapeCodBroadcasting.com
This summer Highfield Hall in Falmouth has been providing some pretty amazing FREE events for families on Wednesday evenings from 5-7pm! If you haven't had a chance to join this fab event yet, you are missing out! Don't worry though there are 2 final weeks left!
We got the amazing opportunity to see the Toe Jam Puppet Band a few weeks back and really enjoyed the event! It was a great way for the kids to wind down and get some fresh air before bed! I even got to go up on stage as the Queen Bee... quite the site... thank you to a friend who took a picture and hasn't shared it as of yet ;). Plus we got to see lots of our friends who we hadn't seen in a while and it was so nice to catch up and see how everyone was doing.
Today Little Groove will be the entertainment. It promises to be interactive family fun with activities and instruments to share. There will be games on the lawns, craft activities, and opportunities to explore Beebe Woods and the newly-restored gardens of Highfield Hall. Unfettered play on the tennis lawn will be encouraged for both children and adults! At 6:00, everyone is invited to gather on the lawn to enjoy first-rate family entertainment. Coolers, picnics, blankets and lawn chairs are all welcome. Admission to Family Fun Night is by free will donation.
The series finale will be The Yo-Yo Show on August 15, 5 - 7pm . Who doesn't love yo-yos? Yo-yos attached to bouncy balls, yo-yos with ten-foot strings and multiple yo-yos looping while hula hooping and unicycling are just some of the finely tuned feats to be presented in this engaging and interactive performance.
In the event of inclement weather, activities will move onto the Highfield Hall porches or into the child-friendly mansion itself. Questions may be directed to 508-495-1878, ext 303 or 304.
*** If you know of any FREE family events that you would like to share please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org witht he info!
Cape Cod Moms