Editor Note: We are currently highlighting the awesome businesses who are supporting our local moms by joining the ShopLocal club. We wanted our moms and community to get to know the owners a little better so that you can see how amazing these locals really are and how they are impacting our community for the better! Please support them! To view all ShopLocal Business interviews, please click here!
Remember: SHOP LOCAL!
Name of Business: The Friendship Garden Nursery School, Inc.
Name of Owner(s): Robin Hewitt Jones, Owner & Katherine Kuusela, Director
1) How long have you lived on Cape Cod?
I was born and raised on Cape Cod.
2) When and why did you start your business?
In 1995 the owners of The Little Red Schoolhouse were retiring. I had worked for them for 9 years. They tried to sell the business and in June closed it. I went out into the field and did not like my prospects. I was telling my Dad this and he said “buy it”. It took just a month and the deal was made and Friendship Garden opened in September of 1995.
3) What do you LOVE most about your job?
I love being on the floor with the children. I wish I could do it all day long.
4) How does your business help/impact local families?
We hope good child care options help to keep young families on the Cape.
5) In your opinion, what are the biggest challenges facing Cape Cod Families?
Well-paying jobs, young families leaving and substance abuse.
6) .) If you had to pick your favorite local spot on Cape Cod (not a business), where would you pick and why?
I would pick the Shining Sea Bikeway. The landscape is beautiful and varied from beach, to estuary and bog, to down town. Woods Hole is such a fun destination for all ages.
7) Please offer a tip for our Mom Audience:
Mom tip. Practice good communication skills, it will have a positive impact on every area of life!
8) Any other information you would like us to share?
We have public play days, the first Monday each month from 9:30-10:30 AM. Members of the community may come let their child play while they view our school. There is a limit of one day per customer. Please call to schedule a date or to request more information. 508-540-6394.
Cape Cod Moms